Braces

Braces. This has always been the subject that I avoid all my life. When I was 12 years old, my mom took me to a dentist to have my "tiger" tooth extracted but back then, the doctor advised against it and told me to put on braces instead. Since I was also wearing specs then... I was terribly reluctant and have begged my parents to just let it be...

Years went on and the slight protrusion became rather bad that I decided to try braces. Last year (2007), I went to see an orthodontist. The orthodontist did 2 x-rays and a mould of my teeth... All was ok until she told me that she'll be extracting 4 teeth - forth tooth from the upper and lower left as well as the upper and lower right. Given that the teeth she opted to extract are too near the front... I chickened out! Cos come on... the 'holes' will be highly visible when I talk / smile / laugh ok!

A year has passed since my last visit...

This time round I visited another orthodontist who was recommended by my colleague. His name is Dr. How KC and he seemed very gentle and kind. Since I ain't getting any younger and am already planning to get married in two years time... I told myself that this would be the final chance for me to correct my protruding teeth in time for me to flash the perfect smile for my wedding photos...

And so... I went on with the x-rays, mould taking and even paid the deposit... Everything cost RM1,010 on my first visit alone... so I told myself there's no way I could chicken out this time round! My second visit was THE DAY where the braces was put on... (30-3-2008 @ 6pm) and I spent another RM870.

The entire treatment would cost me RM6,000 and this is non-inclusive of extraction, scaling or any other dental works in between. I opted for the so-called latest translucent bracket with clip technology that would facilitate faster movement and is not as obvious as the normal metal type.

Alan accompanied me into the surgery room and patiently waited by the side... In between, he snapped numerous photos of me with my mouth WIDE opened... And thanks to him, I was able to blog about it... :)

The entire process of putting the braces on took approximately an hour... After that, Dr. How told me to open my mouth WIDE (with the help of 2 plastic thingy that was inserted into my mouth) so that he can snapped a photo of my teeth with the braces on... At this juncture, I could sense Alan laughing like a mad cow by the side... cos my mouth was REALLY WIDE opened!

Everything was fine until I was given a mirror. When I saw my own reflection, I felt like crying! Yala... I 'sememangnya' am that vain... why else would I procrastinate for so damn many years before actually putting on braces?!

Here's a pict of me with my braces on already... But just the upper part cos Dr. How said if the bottom part is done up as well, I won't be able to eat anything at all...

More on this later... but for now, I need to go and brush my fucking teeth. Grrr...

0 comments:

Post a Comment