Birth Story

Just realized I've not documented my birth story. Here's what happened...

The News
So at week 38, on a Friday, my doc told me that my amniotic fluid was low and that I will have to be induced. However, since baby was still in posterior position, there is a high chance of long labour and potentially emergency c-sec. 

The Decision
We were given 2 dates to be induced. Sat or Mon. But since doc said there will be high chance of emergency c-sec, we decided to go for c-sec straight upon consulting family members. Decided on Saturday morning and was slotted in for the same evening.

The Drama
Shed a tear (actually many drops of tears) when doc said Hb cannot be in the OT with me since it's after normal hours and there's only 1 medical team for the timeslot I was scheduled for. It was apparently a hospital policy that he has no control over... Hb was sad too. But my doc patted me on my shoulder and said "Don't worry, I will take care of you. You can chit chat with me in the OT"

The Separation
Tears were flowing down my puffy cheeks as I was wheeled into the OT. Hb trailed along as far as he was allowed to. Remembered thinking what if that was the last time I saw Hb? And therefore, even more tears... wetting my already very wet puffy cheeks.

The Fear
All alone in the OT, I was trembling; partly fear and partly also cos I was in a freezer. The nurses then got me ready. Plugged me with an intravenous needle and shoved a catheter up my urinary tract. It was painful and super uncomfortable! I was then held onto a sitting position where a jab was administered into my spine. It wasn't epidural, I forgot the term used. The doc told me to keep very still and I was 'lagi' afraid. Cos what if I accidentally move due to reflex?

The Procedure
Almost immediately after the jab, my legs felt numb with tingling sensations. When they started, I felt no pain, only lots of tugging and pulling while doctors and nurses had their casual chit chats with one another. I was too overwhelmed to "chat" and was busy saying my prayers in my heart. The anesthetic doc must have sensed my fear cos he grasped my hand and told me that everything will be fine. Remembered feeling touched with the gesture and wished Hb was there with me.


The Miraculous Moment
With a big push on my abdomen, Lil E was pulled out! He came out crying at the top of his lungs and his cries filled the entire OT! Amazing cos a second ago he was still kicking me in my ribs! Upon cleaning him up, he was brought to my side where I caught my first glimpse of him. Again tears flowed but I was so busy trying to memorize his face. When the nurse showed me his genitals, he left a small amount of sticky black meconium poop on the side of my bed.

The Wait
Expected him to be plopped on my chest for skin to skin contact but he was brought out for assessments immediately; leaving me feeling so worried. The procedure continued where this time they pulled out my placenta b4 stitching me back up. After the procedure, I was held back at another station outside the OT where my BP was measured repeatedly for what felt like eternity (~45min). Only after that I was told my BP shot up really high during the op. Luckily all was OK.


The Reunion
When I was finally wheeled out, the first person I saw at the exit was Hb and he quickly told me that he has seen our baby. At the corner of my eyes I saw another man staring at me and when I looked over he gave me the thumbs up sign and said baby's all good. Was wondering who the weirdo was when Hb told me he's our baby's assigned paed.

The Blackout
Back in my ward, the nurses injected me something for my uterus to contract and boy contracted it did. The pain was pretty unbearable and although I was put on morphine, both the pain from the contraction and surgery left me lying stiffly on the bed. The slightest movement would send me in tears. At this point, Lil E was still not brought in. But Hb managed to take a video of him while I was still in the OT. Happy that it was the same face I saw earlier, I fell asleep...


That pretty much sums up my birthing experience...

0 comments:

Post a Comment