What's Next?

A friend posted this on FB today. Can't help but ponder upon my own answers:

Just thought I'd share something for people struggling with work for one reason or another. I was at this stage some time ago. Unsure what to do, I asked myself a few of these questions:

Am I turning into someone else? Do I like the transformation that I am seeing?  
With me joining this new environment, I feel like I have the ability to start all over again without baggage. Plus the working culture here is all about collaborations and ensuring all round happiness. If one is unhappy, the project goes no where. Do I like the transformation, yeah sure why not. Supposed it help me be a more balanced individual. Not just a godzilla when it comes to timelines and championing projects but with good people skills as well.
    I look around my colleagues; especially more senior colleagues. Are they living the type of lifestyle I want to be living? Do I want to be like them in a few years time?
    I see my bosses traveling non-stop with super hectic schedules. Is this the type of lifestyle I want? The answer is a clear NO. I want to be able to spend more time with my family and loved ones. Don't think I want to lead a life of high corporate stress perpetually. Do I want to be like them? Nola. Don't think I want to.
      Does each day brings hope or despair?  
      More despair. Felt like I've not been performing. Been running in circles for months now. Have I made progress? Sure, I think I have. But is it sufficient? No. I think I'm moving in snail pace and I myself have got to be blamed for the procrastination each time uncertainties crop up. So much so that I dreaded coming to work.

      Is the hours that I spend the result of real work that needs to be done or is it unnecessary work or re-work because of others people's decision or indecision?  
      Result of indecisiveness. Hours and hours are spent exploring... correction, more like months...

      Do I feel the time and effort I spend on my work is something that is worth it (according to my own value system)?
      I definitely like the pay. It provides for my family and I and more importantly, I could save 40% of my salary monthly. Is the effort something that is worth it? Well, monetary satisfaction wise yes. Career satisfaction wise, nope.

      If I were to make drastic changes in my life - how would this impact my financial status? 
      I would stop working in a corporate world and start up a small new business. Could also be me helping Hb manage one of his outlets on my own. I will have to take a pay cut of at least 50%. That's the bare minimum I need to maintain my commitments.

      What do I get in return? 
      In return, I supposed the benefits are:
      (-) Less stress (-) Less money (+) More time (+) More freedom 

      Am I willing to trade one for the other?
      Can't answer this at the moment...

      So nett nett, perhaps it's best to continue sticking my nose back to my work in hand. Sigh...

      0 comments:

      Post a Comment