Braces REMOVED!!!

Yesterday was a historical moment in my life! My braces were REMOVED completely!!! Although only temporary for my wedding (particularly for the pre-wedding photoshoot next week), I am still MAD HAPPY cos it meant that I will be braces FREE for at least 3 MONTHS!!! Suffice to say that there will not be anymore dentist visits this year!!!

The night before, I could hardly sleep. Was nervous as hell and was worried of how I would look without my braces... I was pretty anxious to see my smile too... Afterall, I've not smiled properly for like 18 months!

When my name was called... I was ushered into the X-Ray room where they took a scan of my teeth... Thereafter I had to wait for a while longer before THE MOMENT arrived. Quite honestly, the removal process was scary... the sounds of drillings along with the pulling and tugging and water splashing all over my face was quite traumatizing... I was given 2 jabs too as my gums have totally covered the tiny wires...

In the end... once the braces was completely removed, the following conversations took place:

1st Smile
  • Dentist: "Smile for me to see..."
  • Me: (Smiled to the best of my ability cos' my lips were completely numb from the jab)
  • Dentist: "OK, that's not too bad, you can go for your wedding shoot..."
  • Me: "Do you think it's a bit crooked as in the teeth are a bit aligned to the right?"
  • Dentist: (Stared intently at my teeth...) "Don't think so... It's OK..."
  • Me: (Thank god...)
Battered Gums
I was then given a mirror... and I nearly fainted when I saw my battered gums... There was a deep cut-like line on my gums after the dentist retrieve the tiny wires... and the line was in fiery blood like red...
  • Me: "When will my gums heal completely ya?"
  • Dentist: "Usually after several days..."
  • Me: (Thank god...)
Retainer
  • Dentist: "When's your wedding?"
  • Me: (Stupidly uttered) "Nov 29 and Dec 06"
  • Dentist: "You got 2 weddings ar?"
  • Me: (Stupidly said) "Ya, separate dinners in KL and out of KL ma"
  • Dentist: "Hmmm... your teeth will move a lot in a few months time... maybe you should get a retainer... OK?"
  • Me: "OK!"
  • Dentist: "Good. Let's take a mould now... then you can come back tomorrow and collect it"
  • Me: "OK"

He then proceeded to slap a clump of clay on both my upper and lower jaws... Hate mould-taking time... leaves a weird after-taste...

Balance To Go

  • Me: "So... the next time I come back... how long more do I have to continue wearing braces?"
  • Dentist: "Looking at your X-Ray, another 6 more months"
  • Me: (Gasp... so long one...)

Next Appointment

  • Nurse: "So... your wedding is Dec 06... would you like to make an appointment in December?"
  • Me: (Appeared to be in deep thoughts...)
  • Nurse: "Or would you like to call in for your next appointment?"
  • Me: "Call in would be GREAT!"

And so I intend to NOT go back until after Christmas, New Year, Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day... So likely in March 2010 la...

And here's the 1st photo I took without braces!!! And as you can see... I was a little bit tipsy... had to celebrate you know... :-)

Then today... I went back to collect my retainer during lunch. Surprisingly, it was not the usual wire-type but instead it was a plastic casing slip on that was moulded exactly to my teeth... The kind nurse took 20min to guide me through the process of putting it on and then removing it... When it was on... it wasn't visible at all from afar... only if you stare at it closely will you see the outline of the plastic... :-)

So to sum up my spent on my braces thus far:

16-03-2008: $1,100 [Deposit, X-Rays, Photos & Moulding]
30-03-2008: $ 870 [Deposit & Upper Braces Fitting]
20-04-2008: $ 423 [Extraction & Medication]
18-05-2008: $ 325 [Wire Change]
17-08-2008: $ 325 [Bottom Braces Fitting]
14-09-2008: $ 764 [Extraction, Frenectomy & Medication]
25-10-2008: $ 385 [Wire Change & Scaling]
23-11-2008: $ 385 [Wire Change & Rubber Loops Change & Scaling]
24-12-2008: $ 325 [Wire Change & Rubber Loops Change]
24-01-2009: $ 325 [Wire Change & Rubber Loops Change]
21-02-2009: $ 325 [Wire Change & Rubber Loops Change]
28-02-2009: $ 714 [Loose Bracket, 2 Screws, 4 Springs and 4 Crisscrossed Wires]
21-03-2009: $ 325 [Springs & Crisscrossed Wires Adjustment]
30-04-2009: $ 325 [Loose Bracket, Wires Change]
30-05-2009: $ 325 [Loose Bracket, Mini Wires Removal, Thicker Crisscrossed Wires]
04-07-2009: $ 325 [Loose Bracket, Springs Adjustment, 8-Ring Rubber Loops]
01-08-2009: $ 275 [Springs Adjustment, Additional Crisscross Wires, Rubber Loops]
22-08-2009: F.O.C [Springs Adjustment, Additional Crisscross Wires, Rubber Loops]
07-09-2009: $ 510 [X-Ray, Braces Removal, Scaling]
08-09-2009: $ 70 [Solubles for Retainer x 4 boxes + Plastic Case for Retainer]

YTD Spent: $8,421.00

0 comments:

Post a Comment