Typical Weekday

This week, I've been experimenting with a different routine at work.

Typically... this is how I spend my time at work:
  • 09am - 12pm: Official working hours
  • 12pm - 02pm: Skip lunch to continue working
  • 02pm - 06pm: Official working hours
  • 06pm - xxpm/am: Work
  • Dinner's usually at about 10pm
But this week, it was slightly different:
  • 09am - 12pm: Official working hours
  • 12pm - 02pm: Skip lunch to continue working
  • 02pm - 06pm: Official working hours
  • 06pm - 09pm: Happy hours (but coffee ni...)
  • Dinner also at about 10pm
  • 10pm - xxpm/am: Work

As you can see, the only change to the routine was the "happy hour" sessions that I have with my colleagues... Why the sudden change? I guess it was because of the following reasons:

  • I'm slowly turning into a psycho bitch (count the number of hours I spend at work... think I spend more time with my laptop than anyone else in the world)
  • I'm under-nourished (altho coffee doesn't count as anything nutritious, it was better than munching secretary's biscuits at odd hours)
  • I needed human interactions (apart from work-related topics) but am too lazy to drive all the way out to meet friends
  • I needed to unwind (have been feeling sibeh down lately)

I must admit that it was fun to have regular "talk cock" sessions with colleagues. But the only drawback to this is that, I have to resume working at 11pm or so till wee hours in the morning. And I think this whole week, I looked like shit... (think: eye bags, dark circles, messy hair...). So much so that when my boss jokingly introduced me to a new colleague, he said this:

  • This is "maemee". She used to be pretty. But now hor, she's very "cincai" di... hair is always messy... see... today just one clip to tie her hair back. Eyes are always swollen... sometimes she looks like a panda :)

Needless to say, when I started talking to my new colleague, the conversation steered from work related to something more personal... i.e. how old am I... I told him to take a guess and boy oh boy was I embarrassed...

  • He said: E-A-R-L-Y T-H-I-R-T-I-E-S ???

Think I nearly died on the spot!

So anyway, do let me know how you spend your weekdays? I need to know if I'm "normal" and if not... how to be one again!

5 comments:

April 4, 2007 at 9:00 PM "maemee" said...

[val] wow... u must really lurve your job to be able to endure the physical and mental demands! i dun mind working till wee hours in the morning but if my job requires me to get up at 4am... that's it man! i really am not a morning person and i must salute your determination to be able to survive such tough conditions. so looks like i'm normal afterall... hehehehe...

April 5, 2007 at 7:22 AM Neil Tan said...

Well, from wat i read, u guys seems to work 10x much harder than me :P.

Maybe its the line of work we are in are different. I only work late in the sense that after 6 i have to have dinner and drinks with customers and colleagues........ Sometimes it drags until around 3-4 am!

Other than that i lead quite a easy work life. Work halfway if i had a tiring previous day or boss pisses me off then i would straight go home sleep. :P

Take today for example, i left at around 11 then went to do some errands and went home and slept till 6. :P All because i was stuck waiting for the ferry back to Penang for over 4 hours because there was a bomb scare at the Penang Bridge "-_-

Anyway, like wat val said, if u enjoy ur work and gets satisfaction from the result of ur hard work then by all means go ahead. But do something u dun like and be a slave to money. :o

By the way, u must have aged considerably since i last saw u to be judged to be "Early thirties" :P. U looked to be much younger than me (around 23-24) when we met a few weeks back. (Or maybe it was because of the bad lighting was hiding all ur wrinkles and flabby skin? Haha :P)

Cheers :)

April 5, 2007 at 8:00 AM Val said...

maemee : yeap! You are, in fact, veli normal. Kekeke...So, dun worry lor. Hm. Did I luv my work back then? Well, it's my first job, so I was just glad to be able to get some experience, no matter how terrible they were. My working hours are currently bearable. Heck, it's nowhere YOUR working routine ler...so I guess I've gone jelly-soft over the years lor. I look back now and shrieked : I was really nuts. Crazy. Siao char bor!

Eh? This is out topic, but is someting wrong with blogger ar? It's acting weird, comment boxes aren't showing, and your webpage just looks weird. What happened ar?

neil : Eeee! I wanna be like you! Bueh song can go back sleep like that oneeee... Eeeeeee =P

April 5, 2007 at 8:34 AM "maemee" said...

[neil] wahlau eh... i oso like your job!!! bor song can go back... think everyday oso i'd go back and sleep ler... but then again hor , if i'm in your shoes... oso very hard la cos have to entertain... quite demanding oso plus bad for liver... :P

and NOOOOO... the lighting was sufficient to see the wrinkles and flabby skins (IF i had any)... hehehe... but still, 23-24... kekekeke... kenot sleep lor tonight...

[val] i guess it's true la. ppl work for different form of motivation... some for the money, some for the perks, some for interests, some to gain experience... i guess whatever makes one happy lor... but still, i wanna salute to u lor for even taking on the job... hehehe... u're one hell of a brave gal!

blogspot... ya something wrong... cos i tried to login earlier and i couldn't but now ok... n page oso ok... dunno la... siao...

November 21, 2007 at 11:44 PM JF said...

wow..talk about working hours..hmm..work is important lo..but ultimately..work will never finish..so, dunt just all work all the time.."snake" sometimes, relax, take a step back, smell the roses..and life can be so beautiful sometimes..ultimately, work is just part of your life but not your life..

Post a Comment