First Interview

Paiseh to say hor... today I had my first experience in interviewing a candidate who is supposed to be reporting to me... To be honest, I think I was more nervous than he was in the entire interview. Plus my boss was also there... and he all he did was to tell me this... minutes before the interview: "You interview him ok... your toy boy"... O_o

Lucky thing I've worked with him before thus I was quite comfortable with the fact that he'd be the best candidate (for now) so I pushed hard for him... Hehehe...

But it's kinda hard to be a supervisor...
Sure, I've mentored newbies before but this was entirely a new thing...
  • When he asked bout his salary, we couldn't tell him upfront cos our beloved HR will have to offer him a package
  • When he asked bout his job scope, I had to explain what I do in 5 mins without confusing the hell out of him
  • Then I had to ask up front if he's game for loads of craps... and loads of work...
  • And now, I will have to spend the next few days drafting out his roles & responsibilities, his KPIs and how I need to set up briefing sessions to quickly do a "knowledge transfer"

Sigh... Looking back, I suffered under my previous seniors as they were all too selfish in imparting their knowledge:

  • Like how all my works were submitted to them to be presented to management (which of course I wasn't invited to attend)
  • Like how my analysis were sent to them (under the pretext that my supervisor needs to VET thru first to ensure accuracy) where only later I found out that my work were cut and pasted to be sent out to management
  • Like how my supervisor will claim that he did all the work right in front of the bosses (as if I was transparent)

But I endured 'em all in the name of "continuous learning" and though I had to learn via the school of hard knocks, I am happy to say that I finally had a boss who thinks ok of me now. Thus this time round, given a chance, I think I should aim to be a good supervisor... :)

P.S. "Toy boy" not because I'm gonna "play" with him but becos he'll be the youngest in the team... and I'm 5 fucking years older than he is...

0 comments:

Post a Comment