Foreign Chinatown?

Read in the papers today that more and more tourists are requesting for Chinatown (Petaling Street) to be removed from their itinerary. Why?

Cos it's no longer what it was before. The last time I went there to 'makan', I was surprised to see migrant workers manning nearly all the stalls! These people speak in English and Cantonese but they were obviously not locals lor. Seemed kinda weird to me cos Chinatown everywhere is full of Chinese not Banglas... even when I visited Chinatown in London, I immediately felt a sense of belonging after spending days in an 'angmoh' country.

So yala, kinda weird for our Chinatown to be liddat.

Nevertheless, it is still worth visiting for the rats tail noodle nearby, assam laksa and hokkien mee... yum yummm...

And oh... the last time I went there, I felt like a Northern Mushroom!

0 comments:

Post a Comment