Westminster Abbey

I had lunch at one of the delis at the station. In London, there are many small delis selling a variety of pastries, cakes, sandwiches and coffees. I had a cup of cappuccino and a carrot cake which cost me £5.


After lunch, I continued my way to the Westminster Abbey which was located in the heart of London - next to Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament.

Immediately after I got out of Westminster Station, I was greeted by this magnificent site of Big Ben, part of the Houses of Parliament. For many, this is one of the more recognizable symbol of London. It's a high tower with a huge clear clock face.

Right opposite Big Ben, there's this magnificent British Airways London Eye! But that's a post for another day cos I went back for a ride!


I finally found Westminster Abbey. The brochures I got quoted this about the church: Westminster Abbey is the House of Kings, where the coronation of Kings and Queens has taken place since 1066, and where many of the Kings and Queens of England and of the United Kingdom are buried. Principal among them is St Edward the Confessor, King of England from 1042 to 1066, whose shrine is at the heart of the Abbey Church. Beside and around them are buried or memorialised many of the great men and women from almost every century of these islands’ history: statesmen and politicians, lawyers, warriors, clerics, writers, artists, musicians.


At different parts of the church, there were special "rooms" with statues lying on raised altars (apparently, their bodies also lie beneath those statues... scary!). Each of these statues also have a distinct effigy or a death mask. A death mask is a plaster or wax cast made of a person's face following death. Nearly all the statues were positioned lying down with their palms clasped together on their chest (as tho' in prayer) facing the sky.

Tho the church was full of tourists, it was somewhat serene and peaceful. But for me... it was a funny feeling that I couldn't pinpoint exactly... I felt peaceful the minute I stepped into the church but at times, I felt uncomfortable and even a little bit afraid... Nevertheless... it was truly an eye opener to be able to visit Westminster Abbey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment