070918-24 London

The last update on this blog was bout me traveling alone to London and since I've been back for over 2 weeks now... thought I'd just document the memorable trip here as part of my travel journal.

I took the night flight on 17 Sep 07 from KLIA and flew for 13 hours straight to Heathrow Airport, London. I reached London on 18 Sep 07 at about 6-ish in the morning (London is about 7 hours behind KL). First thing that I did was to look for a "smoking room".


The Information Counter at the airport was pretty informative… I was given a mini leaflet with the underground map. Paid 3 Pounds to hop onto the Picadilly line that took me from Heathrow Airport to Earl’s Court. From Earl’s Court, I walked to the other side of the station to take the District line. But I had to pay another 4 Pounds to Paddington station. Here, I got myself an Oyster pass. (FYI: Taxi from Heathrow Airport to Central London cost 50 Pounds!!!)

My hotel was supposedly located near the Paddington station. But I didn't know which direction it was located and the first few people I asked didn't know where Sussex Gardens was… (Later I found out it was cos "Sussex" is pronounced as "Sossex" not "Suuuussex"). So I found myself walking aimlessly with a map in hand.

Since I took a right turn instead of a left one... I couldn't find the hotel... So I had to turn back and drag my luggage to the other end of the road... Gresham was located at the end of the road...


The hotel reception turned out smaller than I expected... And when I asked if I could leave my luggage at the concierge, I was told to leave it under the stairs... O_o.

After leaving my luggage at the hotel, I began exploring the surrounding areas. I walked till my back and feet ache before I decided to have a cup of latte at Star Bucks. A tall latte cost 1.95 Pounds (about RM13.95)... The first meal I had was Krispy Kreme! I was so excited cos I've heard so much about it and till now, we don't have it in Malaysia. Was I disappointed? Of course NOT... the first bite was absolutely... HEAVENLY!!!

Then I continued wandering around. I must have hopped on and off the tube for more than 7 times in a day... I also briefly visited Marks and Spencer, High Street Kensington and Harrods.


By 6pm... I was already dead tired... I had been walking the entire day that my whole body ached. So much so that the idea of suddenly collapsing into a coma there and then sounded like a good idea... But I told myself I would try to maximize this trip... so I continued walking. Before going back to the hotel... I had fish and chips at a deli. Honestly... it was nothing great but it cost a bomb - 7.25 Pounds (~ RM50)!!!

That concludes my first day in London. I was so exhausted that I slept at 7pm that day...

0 comments:

Post a Comment