Summary of CNY 2007

I must be one of the few lucky ones to start work on Chor Sei. Why? Cos I've been cruising to work for the past few days. No traffic jam what-so-ever... It usually takes me about an hour to reach office but the past 2 days?? 10min!!! 10MIN!!! Can you believe that? So much so that I reached work at 8am on my first day back (work starts at 9am). Needless to say, I slept in awhile longer the following days... kekeke...

Next week, everything will be back to its normal routine and the next CNY will be a full year wait... so before the sun sets today and before happenings of today become memories of yesteryears, here's an attempt to remind myself what I like and dislike about CNY this year:

Top 5 things I like about CNY:

Ang Pau
I'm sibeh greedy I tell you. I sememangnya will not be paiseh to holler out CNY greetings and will not hesitate to take ang pau from anyone... I mean... when I was younger, all my ang pau money are put into savings... and when I finally think that I can make use of the ang pau money for more shopping, I realised that my-ang-pau-receiving-days are numbered. Why? Lets just say I get married at the age of 30 or 31. That's another 2 to 3 years from now. Thereafter, it'll be ME giving out ang pau like mad... sigh...

Ang Ang
Practically anything and everything during CNY will have a splash of red showhow or rather. Heck, even cookies and sweets come in special ang packaging and I just find it so auspicious. Red is nice for its' boldness and loudness and I think it's especially suitable for festive occasions.

The Yang Energy
Come CNY time, my house will be filled with families, relatives and friends. It's such a merry time for all and everyone's in their nice bajus. Both last year and this year, we had someone visiting almost everyday and it's just great cos everyday feels like a holiday!

Food
I love it when we get to eat all sorts of CNY delicacies from a variety of biscuits, snacks to a variety of auspicious sounding dishes like "nin nin yau yu" which meant "every year also got fish" (something like that la)...

CNY Melodies
I prefer CNY melodies than CNY songs. The melodies have a very festive feel about it just like the Christmas jingle.

But with the good, comes the bad. So here's the top 5 things I dislike about CNY:

Nosy Relatives
This is also the time where they will conveniently gang up on the unmarried ones to force the "truth" out of them… when are you getting married? Why not yet etc etc and will conveniently barge into your sanctuary (like your room for instance) for a chit chat when you were obviously trying to take 5 from the smiling and entertaining.

Lousy Clothes
Although it's nice to be in an ang ang mall, it's really not much fun shopping during CNY cos predominantly everything is in ANG! I mean, there's only so many ang baju one could have you know.

Emotionally Drained
I hate returning to work after CNY. It's like an emotional roller coaster (going down) right after a great high!

Food
After awhile, you'll be dying for a meal of just plain vege. Why? CNY is all about meat meat meat and more meat from chicken to roasted pork to fried pork to fish… to everything meat la.

CNY Songs
I don't know about you but I hate CNY songs… they're so supermarket-ish. Gone were the days where CNY songs are melodious and soothing to the ears. Today there are even techno versions to CNY songs and I especially hate the 4 little girls (with thick make ups resembling a monkey's ass) singing and dancing.

So ya, as a true blue Chinese... actually more like true yellow-banana Chinese, I do lurrrrve CNY!

3 comments:

February 22, 2007 at 9:38 PM Je5sie said...

Yea, one of the best thing I love about CNY is that cars suddenly disappeared from the roads. I can get to anywhere FAST. haha. And angpows, nvmla, give out more to gain back more. =p And bout the CNY songs, it's actually what make us sense the presence of CNY. Songs are played everywhere, every shop in shopping complexes, pasar malam, neighbours' houses etc.. So, bear with the evolution lo. Hehe.

February 23, 2007 at 6:51 AM "maemee" said...

evolution ar? u know what... maybe it's a sign of old age... i'm getting old... (wail...)

February 23, 2007 at 7:56 PM Neil Tan said...

True True....... NO new year mood at all this year.

As for the chinese new year songs, i went around town to find the oldest available chinese new year songs. Found one and when i played it on my player in my car, my gf tot i had gone mad. "Siau liao ah u? U r really weird listen to this kind of grandma new year song. No kick at all, so slow". :P

Haha......U wouldn't understand unless u heard it urself. Its really old and it has this scratching sound that old records make.

Anyway, as for sign of old age, it really hit me hard this year.......... 2 more years and i'll be 30............ my ability to stay up and play mahjung to morning has disappeared........ Topics with frens has gone from discussing girls, the latest gadgets to family planning, work life, how to handle work place pressure etc......... Dun wanna admit old also cannot........

Happy Chinese New Year U all..........

Peace

Post a Comment