Sleepless Nights

I've been having sleepless nights for the past few months. Nearly every night I would be tossing and turning in my bed and when I'm finally dozing off, my alarm would ring to signify my wake up time. If you ask me how many hours I sleep a day, I honestly cannot answer for I myself am not certain if I slept at all.

But the thing is that, this only happens on weekdays. I have no problems sleeping on Fridays and Saturdays but starting Sunday, my insomnia would kick in.

To be honest, I'm really physically and mentally exhausted. Initially I thought all I needed was a break away from my routine. Thus in Nov last year, I followed my parents to Beijing for 8 days and in Jan this year, took another trip on my own to Phuket for 5 days. But when I came back, the feeling of exhaustion was even greater than before. I just dread going to work... and eventually started adopting the bad habit of procrastinating.

I felt like I'm no longer as productive as before and I hate myself for being this way. Day in day out I told myself that I need to stay focus and to just do my job but day by day it's getting tougher. I'm not even sure if I need to seek help on this or if it's a common thing amongst working adults... so I checked with my other colleagues...

Surprise! Surprise! Of the 3 people I spoke to... these were their responses:
  • A: I can sleep but I get up at 4am every morning before my alarm could even ring
  • B: Ya... I also cannot sleep at night... slept at 4am yesterday
  • C: Had to be on MC today cos didn't sleep at all last night and had a migraine this morning

Now that I've established that I'm not alone in this... it felt better (as in I'm not mentally unstable or something) but the thing is... I still don't know if I can ever get out of this endless misery... sigh...

5 comments:

February 26, 2007 at 5:43 AM cincailah said...

guess i'm not alone too..

February 26, 2007 at 7:34 AM Mei Ling said...

I came across your blog by chance and cannot resist responding to your discussion.

My personal opinion is that you have something bugging you - personal, business or work related. It happened to one of my ex-colleague and the entire episode ended when the whole ordeal was over. Probably you could sit down and reflect on what's bothering you - it could be something deep inside. Eg. Too much work, unhappy with your boss .. etc

Don't we all hate to go to work??? When I think of my boss, I immediately lose the appetite to go to work. Hahaha

February 26, 2007 at 10:26 PM "maemee" said...

[mei ling] hahahaha... ya, so true... when i think of my b&^$, i lose not just my appetite but my desire to live as well... that bad k... but thanks very much for dropping by... do come back... :)

[neil tan] wei u still got 1 "xanax" left wor... but i guess, best to get addicted la... milk doesn't help k... trust me. i have a cow at home (LOL)

March 3, 2007 at 7:34 AM Bryan Koh said...

I guess, are you not happy with your current job? As you can sleep well on Friday and Sat as it is a non-working days. Then on Sunday, your problem come back again, as tomorrow is a working day. I do not know, just a wild guess.

Hope you can find out the actual cause and solve it. So you can have a nice, warm sleep. : )

March 30, 2007 at 6:23 AM Anonymous said...

a stout a day keeps insomnia at bay

Post a Comment