Kuli-kulum 2020

For the past 2 days, the newspapers had been reporting stories of super achievers in SPM... Gone were the days where 8As are considered damn good! Nowadays, students sit for as many as 16 papers. SIXTEEN k not six... S-I-X-T-E-E-N.

Whenever I come across news or articles like this, I thank god that I was born earlier for really, I simply cannot imagine myself sitting for so damn many papers... I mean, what sort of subjects are those anyway??? When I was in Form 5... I remembered only the following subjects:

(01) BM
(02) Eng
(03) Maths
(04) Add Maths
(05) Bio
(06) Physics
(07) Chemistry
(08) History

At most hor, ppl take additional subjects like:
(09) 1119
(10) Econs
(11) Accounts

That's all I think... what about the balance 5 subjects?
- Moral ar?
- Pendidikan Jasmani ar?
- Pendidikan Islam ar?
- Seni or sth ar?
- Geography ar?

WTF??? Is this how the younger generations are trained to think? The more As the better? Is this the new vision for "kuli-kulum" 2020... for students to be the "kuli" of education?

5 comments:

March 15, 2007 at 11:21 AM Je5sie said...

Ever since year 2000, our education system has changed to "sistem terbuka" where by you can take up as many subjects as you like. So we have people who's kiasu enough to take up to 16 subjects, as far as I'm concern, those subjects are like Add Science, English for Science & Technology, IT, Languages (Chinese, Tamil, Arab etc), Lukisan Kejuruteraan, etc..you name it. Sometimes I wonder too, why take so many extra subjects? But in the competitive working world nowadays, getting 16As at least will help open the employer's eyes bigger.

I doubt these are lies, there are kids that determined to score in SPM you know. In fact the syllabus is harder compared to my time, just that the kids nowadays getting smarter and smarter with tuitions for every subjects. Not forgetting piano,ballet,computer classes. Oh, give them a break. hehe..

March 15, 2007 at 7:34 PM Colin T. said...

well... everybody wants to be jack of all trades, master of none.

anyway... the way I see it, it's just SPM. so i think it is STILL okay if they want to test the water, being the jack of all trades.

choices however, has to be made and narrowed down when they go to college. that's how i see it.

March 17, 2007 at 7:41 PM ckming said...

Bolehland education system is one of the stupidest people can find. It's all going the wrong direction.

Even they can score that much of A's, it's just show how hard they can study/remembering the subjects which doesn't promote much analytical/creative thinking.

Though i agree some core subjects do need some brains, but think again, how good the system can be when they can approve something like 'Moral' to be taught in schools.

March 18, 2007 at 3:58 AM cincailah said...

wanna make it to guiness book of records one day mah...

The highest score in exam by Malaysian student with 20As!

Everything also want to be more than people

March 20, 2007 at 12:01 AM "maemee" said...

[val] hehehehe... thanks for coming back and for the support... kekekeke... but nola, don't think all the statistics were inaccurate... 2 people I know made it in the newspapers... my cousin (10As) and my mom's friend's son (10As)...

[je5sie] actually, I totally agree that kids these days are smarter... just look at my 8 year old niece... she plays Maplestory (with a cool nick called Miara), has her own handphone where she snaps nice pictures with and sms everyone in her address book and she's only E-I-G-H-T. when I was her age... I think I was still happily playing lego.

[ckming] u know... till now I dun understand why we need to take Moral. I was forced to take Malaysian Studies in college last time too... n ahem... all of us "passed" with flying colours... in theory & practical...

[colin t. & cincailah] i know why they need to take so many subjects and better still score so many As... so that they can boil soup and replenish vitamin As in their bodies... just like us adults... we need vitamin Ms... :P

Post a Comment