Vision 2020

My eyesight has been blur the past few weeks. Not sure if it's because of lethargy or if the "lasik" effects are wearing off given that I'm forever in front of my laptop.

FYI... I got my "lasik" done last year. I just got up one fine day and decided that I've had enough of contact lenses. Given my working hours, I have my contacts on for over 8 hours nearly every day. And of cos, this is bad for the eyes... and they are forever dry or sore (from infections).

So I happily drove to Optimax in TTDI to get my eyes checked and after a series of tests, I was told that my corneas are suitable for the "lasik" operation. I then proceeded to set a date and drove home again (still in a jovial mood).

On the day of the operation, I was suddenly scared but I told myself that I was doing the right thing and forced myself to carry on...
  • I was given a set of hospital gown to change into which was kinda weird, considering that they will only be operating my eyes...?
  • Then I was ushered to this machine where they had to mark my cornea with a marker... I was supposed to open my eyes wide without blinking... but it was rather uncomfortable cos everytime they put a dot, I'll blink out of reflex... (and I think they marked like 5 dots on each eye)
  • After that, I was led into this semi dark operating theater and was asked to lie down on a chair that was rather similar to those at the dentists...
  • The minute I lied down, tears started raining down my cheeks cos they had this blinding spotlight on!
  • Out of no where, someone just came and pulled my eyelids (both upwards and downwards) and had them TAPED... and of cos I couldn't close or blink my eyes after that...
  • Then someone else came to "wash" my eyes non-stop...
  • At the same time, the doctor guided my view gently towards green light that I was supposed to focus on for 30 seconds (had difficulty focusing with one eye covered and the other one taped)
  • During the time, I was warned not to squeeze my eyes or move them...
  • Then the doctor proceeded to cut out a circular like shape on my cornea to form a flap...
  • All was ok until the laser process started...
  • The green light that I was focusing on... turned red and along with it, there was this burnt smell! It was as if they were cooking my eyeballs!
  • Once that was done... they closed the cornea flap back... and walla, next eye!
The minute I got out of the room, my eyesight was already showing improvements... but an hour after that, they hurt like hell. I kept tearing (even with my sunglasses on) until a point where it was just too painful to open them... everything just seemed so bright... way too bright for my sensitive eyes that my bf had to guide me (like how one would guide a blind man).

But after a looooong nap... my eyes felt ok... (then again my parents dimmed all the lights)... That night, I stood at a distance in front of my house clock... although I could see the numbers, they were still rather blur...

The following morning, I got up to a perfect clear view of my surroundings without having to scramble for my glasses! At that moment, I felt like the luckiest person on earth! But to be doubly sure, I stood in front of the same clock once again and at the same distance as the night before... only this time, I could see all the numbers clearly!

Well, that has been over 6 months now... and my check up is due soon... :)

8 comments:

March 28, 2007 at 6:28 PM Anonymous said...

*whispers to the optometrist* cut her up cut her up...slice her slice her!

*evil grin*...muahahahaha

March 29, 2007 at 2:47 AM Val said...

Eeeeee... You make it sound so scary (the operation)!!! AND heaven-like (the clear visions AFTER the operation). Haha. I can't imagine if I'll ever do THAT! I'd rather they knock me unconscious and then do whatever that they need to do and get it over with. Euuuuu!!!!! *cold sweats* AND *lotsa shivers*

March 29, 2007 at 3:55 AM "maemee" said...

[val] actually it wasn't as scary as that la... but i was scared lor cos didn't know what to expect ma... but really, if you need to correct your eyesight... i would truly recommend you to do it cos it's quite effective.

and the only pain will be once the anesthetic's over which is one hour later... but the doc's advise is to sleep it off... so yalor... perfect for those who are sick n tired of wearing classes and contact lenses.

March 29, 2007 at 7:29 AM "maemee" said...

[val] wahhhhhh u read "about me" wer... kekekekeke... nola, i think my colleagues r pulling my leg only... :P

March 29, 2007 at 6:37 PM Anonymous said...

maemee = angelina jolie???

*feels last week's lunch coming back through my rectum travelling back within my internal organs and coming straight back outta my mouth*

November 22, 2007 at 12:55 AM JF said...

really sounde very scary from the way you describe it..you should hear my story too..i had cornea erosion before (normally happens to people who wear contact lenses which i dont)..the optometrist literrally had to pull my eyes open with some kinda cold metal device..to keep it open..and scapped off my cornea ephitelium..gave me lots of painkillers..mmm...talk about that...so, take good care of yuor eyes everyone..

November 22, 2007 at 12:55 AM JF said...

really sounde very scary from the way you describe it..you should hear my story too..i had cornea erosion before (normally happens to people who wear contact lenses which i dont)..the optometrist literrally had to pull my eyes open with some kinda cold metal device..to keep it open..and scapped off my cornea ephitelium..gave me lots of painkillers..mmm...talk about that...so, take good care of yuor eyes everyone..

November 22, 2007 at 1:17 AM "maemee" said...

[jf] wahhhh, your one sounded scarier lehhh... anyway, i was discharged from their observation after 1 full year... other people are usually discharged after a few months. everytime i went for check up, my eyes are too dry thus i had to be on eye drops and continue to be monitored.

bout 2 weeks back, they discharged me from observation. now i only need to go back for check up once a year. was also given the choice to re-do but think not now la... sigh...

Post a Comment